Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Outside Sources, The Mental Game

For Days Like Today

This post is both one about hockey, life, and how outside sources that we can not control can sometimes wreak havoc on our mental state. Pictured right are my beloved Canucks and head coach Alain Vigneault hanging their heads after last nights dismal performance in Game 6 of the Western Conference Semi-Finals. They look exactly how I feel this morning. I have to say it was tough to get out bed this morning. I am stuck here thinking of the reasons why I let a sports franchise affect not only me, but the entire city so greatly? I often wonder what the production rate (in terms of business completed) is when there is a game that day, after a win, after a loss. Do things such as major sports events, recently here in Vancouver, the Olympics, or any other thing of that nature really affect how we are at work, at home, and at play. I'm going to key on work but it's all part of a bigger picture.

As you may have noticed, I seem to draw on my experiences from the hockey world extremely often. Up until one year ago, this was really the only world I knew. When I was a goaltender trying to make it where these guys are today my biggest obstacle was the mental game. I knew I had the skill, talent, work ethic and all the other intangibles to get it done. I did everything in my power to make it. It didn't work out. This was for a number of reasons and I could write a book about it (and, that is not out of the question... I've definitely thought about it). BUT, the key to playing well and performing well in life is what channel you decide to tune your brains TV set to. Bear with me a moment and think openly about your emotions and feelings. I was involved with a sports psychologist by the name of Saul Miller who introduced the concept to me of our minds working like a TV set where we can control what channel we're on. Think about that... We have the power so say "No, that's not me... Who I am is...". That statement alone was one of the most powerful things anyone has ever taught. For that statement to work, one must have a clear definition of who they are and exactly what they want to be. It's fantastic for curing and learning from mistakes.

I am one who believes mistakes are a blessing. Another one of the phrases I learned from Saul is "Either you use it, or it uses you". Again, I ask you to really think about the roots behind that and the meaning behind it. My main objective was to succeed in sport but my father, David Rebak attended some of the sessions I had with Saul and after each session he concluded that almost everything Saul has said is applicable to life. He was absolutely correct.

It's no surprise to me that so many ex-elite athletes are in sales. Think of all the skills that cross both lifestyles. I constantly amaze my self at all that I can apply from hockey to work life and vice versa.

What I am really getting at after all this rambling is the power of our minds and how outside sources (such as my favourite team, the Canucks) can affect our mood and therefore affect our performance. In most cases, such as a favourite team losing, they are in no way, shape, or form related to the other arenas in your life. In fact, I might dare to say that the Canucks losing is an erroneous fact. We must not allow ourselves to be influenced by things we can not control. All that we can control is our actions.

The next time you are by the water and you see a duck with a pearl of water slipping of its back remember it. Think of the pearl of water as an irritant in your daily life and the duck being you. You want to flick the water away. You don't want to get wet. But, if you let it bead off you, it's gone almost instantaneously and you are not bothered or affected by it. Stay calm, cool, and collected. Always keep your head level and avoid what I like to call the emotional roller-coaster of highs and lows.

I fell victim to letting things get to me and to be honest, it really affected my work life. Recently I went through some challenges and for a while, it definitely used me. I am now at the point where I have used it as a learning experience and have grown hugely from it. Again, I view mistakes and challenges as a blessing and an opportunity to learn and grow. If you have come across a challenge recently, please, embrace it. Slow down, take a birds eye look at the issue at hand, and find a way to use it; otherwise, it will inevitably use you.

Go kick ass - Seriously... and have fun doing it.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome post, Michael!

    I love the phrase, "Either you use it, or it uses you". Nicely done!

    Cheers,
    Kelley

    ReplyDelete